Microblog Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, April 11, 2006

    The Quarter Century

    This upcoming Saturday will be a somewhat momentus event in parts of the country. For many it will be known as Tax Day and mean standing in line at the post office until midnight to get their federal and state taxes postmarked in time. For others it will be a mournful day remembering those lives lost on the Titanic 94 years ago. Other history buffs may focus on the assasination of President Lincoln 141 years ago. For me it will mean getting old.

    DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTING IN KNOW WAY INSINUATES THAT ANYONE ELSE OVER THE AGE OF 24 IS OLD. THIS POSTING CLEARLY STATES MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION REGARDING MYSELF WHICH SHOULD IN KNOW WAY BE INTERPRETED AS INSULT TO READERS OF DIFFERENT OPINION.

    On Saturday I'll have a quarter of a century under my belt. Now I do believe that you're only as old, or young, as you feel, and I don't typically feel old. But, when I refer to my birthday as a quarter of a century or I think about the bills due this week or I watch my sister in high school fret over what color her prom dress should be, I feel old.

    As a result of this upcoming birthday that the people I love insist on recognizing with presents, food, and wishes of a great year, I've decided to change. I'm changing absolutly nothing! I try to be responsible. I pay my bills, strive to move ahead at work, and look out for my friends and family. I also have a great time when I'm not thinking about bills, work, and responsibilities.

    I am anything but old when I'm with my family. How can I be? I have sisters who are 20, 16, 10, and newborn. We work hard to keep our maturity levels at a condusive level. My parents cringe but still take us in public, "seefood" and all!

    My friends and I are not old. We run around Chicago yelping like 4 year olds and laughing until we cry. We still enjoy staying up unresonably late on "work" nights and maybe a night of drinks once in a while.

    And when I'm with Darrick...well, he's got two things going for him when it comes to making me feel young when I'm around him. First, the sweetheart is older than me. Who feels old when their boyfriend is already over the 30 mark? Also, he has the heart of a teenager and sometimes the humor. The best is when he giggles like a little boy!

    So, this year I might actually send out Christmas cards or get up before 10am on a day off but other than that, don't expect much to change. I like living by the seat of my pants, especially when it comes to having fun.

    With that in mind, we can all mourn taxes and death, for they are certain, but don't cry for me. Once we stop flashing the number all over the birthday cards, emails, and birthday cakes, I'll forget and go back to acting like someone whose in their early 20's not the mid!

    No comments: