Microblog Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, May 30, 2006

    Steve Martin & King Tut

    *angelic choir singing "aaahhhh"*

    The King Tutankhamun exhibit has opened in Chicago at The Field Museum. Typically a mention of The Field Museum would trigger an extensive rambling about my love for Sue but not this time! King Tut is in town!



    I'm going to this exhibit as many times as time and money will allow between now and January 1, 2007. I am not exaggerating either. I have wanted to see this for as long as I can remember. I was disappointed growing up when I was told that it had already toured the US and was on permanent display in Egypt. Who would have thought I'd have this opportunity?

    Now, regarding the title...

    While in grade school I had this great art teacher who let us decorate a chunk of the hallway with a theme for a month or so. One year it was King Tut's tomb. We had the walls and ceiling all done up looking like dirt with beautiful gold trinkets "piled up." There were also papermache statues and other "treasures." I loved it!

    One of my contributions was to the audio portion of the display. My father had a record (yes, I'm talking vinyl) of a live performance by Steve Martin during which he did a song about King Tut. In typical Steve Martin fashion, it was quite funny. I wonder if I can find a recording of it today...

    Anyways, King Tut rocks and is in town! Steve Martin is funny! Has anyone else heard this rendering of Steve talking about Tut? Also, anyone else making a point to go see this exhibit while it's traveling the world?

    No comments: