Microblog Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, October 15, 2007

    Apple iPhone vs Nokia N95

    Now I know I love my N95. And, I'll readily go head-to-head with any Apple enthusiast (although I don't think many listen to what is being said back) about why it's better than the iPhone. And, while many non-Apple enthusiasts are just hating on the iPhone I recognize a few things it brings to the mobile industry. First, their touch screen out-does any plasic stylus touchscreen on the market. Also, the user-interface is slick. Finally, Apple successfully introduced to the US market what the mobile industry does all around the world. They sell phones at full price but as feature-packed convergence devices. They didn't do anything new; they just got the US public to get it for once.

    The point of this post is to say that someone summed it up just right. Thanks to Darla Mack's post reference, I read the almost perfect quote...

    "The iPhone is for consuming content, while the N95 is for creating it."


    This is why sometimes talking to an iPhone owner just doesn't make for a constructive conversation. We're arguing the same points from different sides of the table, and I don't mean Nokia vs Apple. I say, "but your phone only has a 2mp camera!" And I usually get back, "so what!" All this time I thought it was ignorant banter when in reality it really didn't matter to them. So, I'd like to say to Jonathan Greene of Atmaspheric Endeavors...thank you. I get it now. I only hope everyone else takes a moment to digest your thoughts as well.

    Oh, I still like my N95 more! :)

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    I agree with your assertion that Americans haven't caught on to smart phones. It is a big country, and our retarded telco industry has been slow to make good data services available.
    Different phones use these services in different ways, and the iPhone is the winner for people who already use iTunes and already use web services.

    For the Flickr user, an N95 is ideal.

    For someone who wants to do everything in one device- email, blog, im, jaiku, facebook, gps navigation, ok photos- I've been damn happy with my Blackberry Curve.

    At this point though there just isn't one device that everything well. Our beloved phones will eventually be tossed for the Next Big Thing.