Microblog Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, July 08, 2009

    Television Shows That Keep Me Entertained

    Back row: Lane, Michel, Paris, Richard, Emily,...Image via Wikipedia

    Without actual television I watch a lot of "television" on dvd. Susan and I both buy seasons of television on dvd which has a number of pros and cons. For example is disappointing that I can't watch episodes when they air. This keeps me out of the loop when conversations about television are taking place. It is rare that someone discusses that one episode three years ago on 24. However, I can watch episode after episode without waiting a weeks time. There is also the amazing technology of pause and rewind. It's a crazy concept.

    Looking over the television shows Susan or I own I've realized that I like two types of shows. One - I like crime shows. I spent most of my winter break this past December, when we did have television, watching immense amounts of CSI (all variants) and Law & Order (again all variants). There must be something about the basic formula of problem, discussion and solving that appeals to me. At least that's what I tell myself. It's that or I have a morbid sense of entertainment.

    This is a great segway for the second type of television I enjoy. This one has less interest in the structure of the show and more focus on the script writing style. I like quick and flippant interchanges, and they get a special pat on the back if they integrate society and cultural references and quips. Top contenders include Gilmore Girls, Sports Night and Bones. And, while Bones is not my favorite show of all time, it holds a special place in the lineup as it is a crime show and has quick script with cultural quips.

    I enjoy television because it's mindless. I appreciate the fact that my brain is used more when I sleep is a lovely bonus. However, I think I really like it to be intellectual in some way hence my interest in the two types of shows listed above.

    What kind of television shows do you like? Oh, and if your answer is reality tv, not only am I not accepting that answer but maybe you should do some reflection as I have.
    Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

    No comments: