Microblog Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, March 31, 2006

    Two Notes: Beautiful People & Engagement Length vs. Marriage Length

    So Matt LeBlanc, better known as Joey from Friends, is seeking divorce from his wife, Melissa. According to the article, the divorce is requested due to "irreconcilable differences," and they have a 2 year old child.

    Point One:

    Is it impossible to remain married if you're beautiful? Or, if you think you're beautiful? I understand that celebrities live a "special" life with "special" requirements and responsibilities but seriously?!?!?!? Who doesn't have situations that are difficult, straining, hard work, ect? Name a marriage that was easy, and I'll show you a marriage of convenience - both people probably have/had ulterior motives to get them through each day!

    It's called a commitment, Hollywood! Correlate it to your movies...if you commit to playing a character, you can't leave until you're done filming. Consider death being when you're done filming. Now stay in character, wife or husband (and Lord help those that are mother and father too!), and work out this commitment!

    Point Two:

    Why would an engagement last 5 years but a marriage only 3? What purpose did the long engagement serve? Did you not figure out if you loved each other? Did you not get to know one another? Why would you date for some undetermined amount of time, then be engaged for 5 years, get married, and figure out 3 years in that there are "irreconcilable differences?"

    Summary:

    At this point I will admit, I've never been married. I've been raised by two parents who have been married my whole life. They were both raised by parents who have been married their whole lives. All experiences with "broken" families have been through friends and extended family. But, I'd also like to say despite my (as some might say) limited experience, I stand by my statements and questions. Please tell me the answers because I just don't understand!

    4 comments:

    mwgrl5 said...

    I received an email today regarding this post. Hopefully, the author won't mind my posting of his comment, but I thought it could continue to generate comments regarding Hollywood, marriage, and commitment. "Hey, I agree with you about marriage there is no commitment to marriage. But what's new with Hollywood this has been going on for as long as I can remember. I'm afraid that it has moved from Hollywood to the rest of the country for the most part people don't stay married much longer that the lust lasts. - Jerry" Thank you, Jerry!

    Unknown said...

    I guess ugly people don't normally get divorced as they're afraid they won't find anyone else. Beautiful people however, know that there will be dozens of men/women for them to choose from.

    mwgrl5 said...

    Interesting thought, leon. Sad but intersting.

    Jason said...

    Hello, I've often thought that tendencies for divorce might be somewhat genetic, or at least coupled between someones environment that they grew up in and their compilation of genes. My father thinks so as well. He told me not to date girls whose parents are divorced, which I've never done. As far as I know, there's never been a divorce in my immediate family, probably due to necessity of husband/wife tag-team farming, but hopefully also due to something called love.

    Maybe that's a bad stereotype but who knows. All I know is I will remain single if I have to settle, which hopefully won't happen because I have been in successful relationships. Good luck and don't give up. Oh and, watch out for those Eastern Europeans because some have mutations in genes encoding for oxytocin receptors, thus disposing them to impersonal relationships and sexual promiscuous lives. I happen to be almost 100% Czech. I'm hopeful I don't have these mutations but have yet to run my genetic screen.